e2i is actively seeking applicants from all disciplines, with an emphasis on transdisciplinary research.
- Applicant teams must include:
- 1 postdoc, research associate, or senior graduate student (e2i trainee)
- 1 principal investigator (faculty member)
- Both team members must hold current appointments at the University of Calgary for the duration of the program (September 2022 - May 2023)
Postdoc, Research Associate, or Senior Graduate Student:
- Must have an interest in exploring the possibility of translating their research outcomes and discoveries into practical solutions for societal benefit
- Key career aspirations may include:
- Being a better academic
- Getting a good job in industry
- Start a business venture
- Must commit to a time investment of 10-15 hours/month for the duration of the program
- Must be willing to support and engage their e2i trainee throughout the program
- 8 months
- e2i trainees (postdoc/RA/graduate student) are expected to spend 13-15 hours per month on the program (3 hours of synchronous workshops and 10-12 hours of asynchronous work)
- Principal Investigators can expect to spend 5 hours per month on the program (all asynchronous)
e2i will capture an array of introductory topics to inform and encourage participants. Topics that you will explore include:
- The nature of technology (in the broadest sense) and the linkages between research and discovery, solutions and practical outcomes and impact.
- UCalgary and other research university case histories illustrating discovery to impact stories
- Identifying potential solutions in research results
- How to choose a solution direction and topic
- Customer discovery
- Routes to a successful venture and how to create a funded viable project
- Setting up a research-based business
- Getting funded
- So you’ve created a start up – now what?
- How can I keep my research program growing and be involved in a successful business venture as well?
Teams will also further develop their own research and technology directions with the support of their PIs and e2i mentors.