Call for nominations
Prestigious prizes and awards for research are an important element in a faculty member’s career, as they provide recognition, at various levels, of the excellence and significance of scholarly contributions. These awards also provide a measure of an individual’s contributions to their discipline or field and impact of their research, which is frequently utilized to secure research funding and further recognition within the specific discipline, in the broader research community, and with the general public.
Recognition of individual faculty members also reflects upon the University of Calgary, broadening and strengthening its reputation for research excellence, contributing to concrete benefits such as the attraction and retention of high-caliber students, post-doctoral fellows, and faculty members, and increased public awareness of the University’s activities. Recognition of the excellence of individual faculty members is essential for accomplishing our Academic Plan and Research Plan.
Nominate a Colleague
All members of the University of Calgary are strongly encouraged to nominate their colleagues. The Research Services Office provides a number of related services (below). You may also contact a faculty representative, either your Associate Dean (Research) or a designated Prizes and Awards contact:
- Faculty of Arts:
- Cumming School of Medicine Awards and Recognition Committee:
- Haskayne School of Business:
- Faculty of Kinesiology:
- Dr. Raylene Reimer, Associate Dean (Research), and Professor – Human Performance Lab
- Faculty of Nursing Awards & Recognitions Committee:
- Faculty of Science: (for external awards)
- TBD, Associate Dean (Research)
- Faculty of Science Awards Committee: (for internal awards)
- Faculty of Social Work:
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine Awards Committee:
- Werklund School of Education
- Dr. Sylvie Roy, Associate Dean (Research) and Professor
In order to track the success of our faculty members and share their stories, we ask that nominators inform the Research Services Office of any nominations being put forward.
Prize and Award Opportunities:
The Office of the Vice-President (Research) and the Research Services Office regularly announce opportunities for prizes and awards to the University community. Targeted announcements are also shared with specific faculties and departments. If you wish to be added to the mailing list, please contact the Research Services Office, below.
A searchable Prizes & Awards Calendar is available for the University community, which lists prizes and awards for all disciplines and career stages, deadlines, eligibility requirements and other important information, and links to the sponsors’ web sites. If you are aware of prizes and awards not listed on the Calendar, please contact the Research Services Office.
Research Services is also happy to assist faculty members find prizes and awards suitable to their area of research and career level.
The Research Services Office supports award nominations in several different ways:
- sends out notification of upcoming deadlines
- reviews the requirements and terms of reference with anyone wanting to put forward a nomination package
- solicits letters of reference on behalf of the nominator
- solicits application signatures for any nomination forms
- meets with you to discuss possible nominees and how to prepare the nomination package
- coordinates review of nomination packages by members of the College of Reviewers, which is comprised of previous award winners
- edits draft nomination packages
- reviews nomination packages for completeness
- submits nominations via courier