SUPPORT: Research Awards
The SUPPORT Research Awards committee plays an important role in improving nominations for prestigious external research awards through peer review by faculty members who have won major national awards and sat on selection committees for these awards. Committee members include Fellows of the Royal Society of Canada, Fellows of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences, previous RSC medal winners, Members of the Order of Canada, and others who have won awards of a similar calibre.
The SUPPORT Research Awards committee will review nominations for a select list of prestigious awards, advise on the suitability of a candidate for these awards, and canvass the faculty to find suitable nominees. The committee also assists the President and Vice-President (Research) in reviewing requests for institutional nominations.
The Strategic University Proposal and Platform Opportunity Review Team (SUPPORT) is a Vice‐President (Research)-led initiative created in 2010 to help researchers at the University of Calgary to become more successful in major grant and award competitions while ensuring that institutional commitments can be fulfilled. The SUPPORT committee process is administered by the Research Services Office.
Nomination Reviews: the SUPPORT: Research Awards committee regularly meets to review nominations for awards with upcoming deadlines, typically 1-2 months prior to the agency deadline. The committee aims to provide feedback to nominators and nominees within 3-4 weeks of submission.
Note that SUPPORT review is not required for nominations (with the exception of quota-limited programs or institutional nominations), and SUPPORT encourages faculty to nominate as frequently as possible.
The SUPPORT: Research Awards committee is available to review and provide feedback to strengthen nominations for major research prizes and awards and advise on the suitability of award nominations. Chaired by Prof. Aritha Van Herk, this committee is comprised of distinguished University of Calgary faculty who have won major national awards and sat on national award selection committees.
- Your Faculty or Associate Dean (Research) must submit the request for review to email@example.com.
- Each submission must include a SUPPORT Review Form.
- Each faculty must submit a short statement describing how equity, diversity and inclusion were considered in the internal Faculty selection process.
Deadline for next SUPPORT review: May 25, 2022
Feedback will be provided to applicants and faculties within 3-4 weeks of submission. Your Faculty or Associate Dean (Research) must submit the request for review to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to reviewing nomination materials, the SUPPORT: Research Awards committee is available to review potential candidates for nominations for awards on the Prestigious Awards List, providing recommendations on whether to proceed with the nomination and identifying areas to strengthen with a view towards a future nomination. For candidate reviews, please email the candidate’s CV and the name of the award to email@example.com.
Feedback will be provided to applicants and faculties within 3-4 weeks of submission. Your faculty or Associate Dean (Research) must submit the request for review to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prestigious Research Awards
The SUPPORT: Research Awards committee reviews nominations and potential candidates for a select number of prestigious external research award programs. This list is approved and regularly reviewed by the Research Awards Working Committee. As of August 2020, this list includes:
- Alberta Science and Technology Foundation (ASTech) Awards (discontinued)
- Canada Council for the Arts awards (e.g., Molson Prizes)
- Canada’s Top 40 Under 40
- Canadian Medical Hall of Fame
- Fellowship in the American Academy of Nursing
- Fellowship in the Canadian Academy of Engineering
- Fellowship in the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences
- CIHR Gold Leaf Prizes
- National Research Council (e.g., Killam Research Fellowships, Killam Prizes)
- NSERC Prizes (Gerhard Herzberg Gold Medal, John C. Polanyi Award, Brockhouse Canada Prize for Interdisciplinary Research, Synergy Awards for Innovation, Donna Strickland Prize for Societal Impact, Arthur B. McDonald Fellowship, Awards for Science Promotion)
- Order of Canada and Governor General of Canada awards
- Alberta Order of Excellence (Lieutenant Governor of Alberta)
- Royal Society of Canada (Fellowship, Membership in the College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists, and Medals and Awards)
- SSHRC Impact Awards
For more information on how to submit nomination materials or candidate information for review, click on one of the above links or contact email@example.com.
If you would like SUPPORT to review a nomination for an award not on the above list, please contact your Faculty's awards representative. Requests are subject to approval by the Research Awards Working Committee.