SUPPORT: Research Awards
The SUPPORT Research Awards committee plays an important role in improving nominations for prestigious external research awards through peer review by faculty members who have won major national awards and sat on selection committees for these awards. The SUPPORT Research Awards committee will review nominations for a select list of prestigious awards, advise on the suitability of a candidate for these awards, and canvass the faculty to find suitable nominees. The SUPPORT Research Awards committee also assists the President and Vice-President (Research) in reviewing requests for institutional nominations.
The Strategic University Proposal and Platform Opportunity Review Team (SUPPORT) is a Vice‐President (Research)-led initiative created in 2010 to help researchers at the University of Calgary to become more successful in major grant and award competitions while ensuring that institutional commitments can be fulfilled. The SUPPORT committee process is administered by the Research Services Office.
Nomination Reviews: the SUPPORT: Research Awards committee regularly meets to review nominations for awards with upcoming deadlines, typically 1-2 months prior to the agency deadline. The committee aims to provide feedback to nominators and nominees within 3-4 weeks of submission.
Note that SUPPORT review is not required for nominations (with the exception of quota-limited programs), and SUPPORT encourages faculty to nominate as frequently as possible.
The committee will meet in January 2021 to review nominations. The committee invites the University of Calgary research community to submit nomination materials for the following awards:
- John C. Polayni Award (Expected deadline: March 1, 2021)
- Gerhard Herzberg Gold Medal (Expected deadline: March 1, 2021)
- Brockhouse Prize for Interdisciplinary Research (Expected deadline: March 1, 2021)
Royal Society of Canada Medals and Awards (Expected deadline: March 1, 2021)
Humanities and Social Sciences:
- Pierre Chauveau Medal - Humanities
- Jason A. Hannah Medal – History of Medicine
- Yvan Allaire Medal – Governance
- Henry Marshall Tory Medal – Astronomy, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics
- McLaughlin Medal – Medical Science
- Miroslaw Romanowski Medal – Environmental issues
- Rutherford Memorial Medal in Chemistry – preference for a candidate less than 40 years old
- Rutherford Memorial Medal in Physics – preference for a candidate less than 40 years old
- Sir John William Dawson Medal – Multiple Domains
- Fellowship in the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences (Expected deadline: March 12, 2021)
SSHRC Impact Awards - SUPPORT review mandatory as only one nominee may be forwarded per category. Letter of Intent and candidate CV required for internal selection. See calendar entries linked below for details. (Expected deadline: April 1, 2021).
What to include in the review package: Refer to the linked calendar entries (above) for details on what to include in the SUPPORT review package for each award. If additional components of the nomination package are available by the SUPPORT deadline, the committee would be pleased to review all available materials.
Deadline for SUPPORT review: January 11, 2021
Feedback will be provided to applicants and faculties within 3-4 weeks of submission. Your faculty or Associate Dean (Research) must submit the request for review to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to reviewing nomination materials, the SUPPORT: Research Awards committee is available to review potential candidates for nominations for awards on the Prestigious Awards List, providing recommendations on whether to proceed with the nomination and identifying areas to strengthen with a view towards a future nomination. Candidate reviews are completed on a rolling basis. Please email the candidate’s CV and the name of the award to Research Services at email@example.com.
Upcoming Prestigious awards deadlines include:
- Alberta Science and Technology Foundation (ASTech) awards (deadline TBA)
- Canada Council for the Arts Killam Prize (expected deadline: June 15, 2021)
- Canadian Medical Hall of Fame (expected deadline: June 14, 2021)
- NEW AWARD: NSERC Donna Strickland Prize for Societal Impact of Natural Sciences and Engineering Research (Deadline: April 1, 2021)
- NSERC E.W.R Steacie Memorial Fellowship (expected deadline: May 15, 2021)
- NSERC Synergy Award (expected deadline: April 1, 2021)
Prestigious Research Awards
The SUPPORT: Research Awards committee reviews nominations and potential candidates for a select number of prestigious external research award programs. This list is approved and regularly reviewed by the Research Awards Working Committee. As of August 2020, this list includes:
- Alberta Science and Technology Foundation (ASTech) Awards
- Canada Council for the Arts awards (e.g., Molson Prizes, Killam Research Fellowships, Killam Prizes)
- Canada’s Top 40 Under 40
- Canadian Medical Hall of Fame
- Fellowship in the American Academy of Nursing
- Fellowship in the Canadian Academy of Engineering
- Fellowship in the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences
- CIHR Gold Leaf Prizes
- NSERC Prizes (Gerhard Herzberg Gold Medal, John C. Polanyi Award, Brockhouse Canada Prize for Interdisciplinary Research, Synergy Awards for Innovation, Donna Strickland Prize for Societal Impact, E.W.R. Steacie Memorial Fellowships, Awards for Science Promotion)
- Order of Canada and Governor General of Canada awards
- Alberta Order of Excellence (Lieutenant Governor of Alberta)
- Royal Society of Canada (Fellowship, Membership in the College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists, and Medals and Awards)
- SSHRC Impact Awards
For more information on how to submit nomination materials or candidate information for review, click on one of the above links or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like SUPPORT to review a nomination for an award not on the above list, please contact your Faculty's awards representative. Requests are subject to approval by the Research Awards Working Committee.