TCPS2 CORE Tutorial
Course on Research Ethics (CORE)
Working with Tri-Council, the University of Calgary is committed to ensuring our research community operates from a strong, ethical foundation.
With the release of the updated Tri-Council Policy Statement 2, a training tool was launched: the Course on Research Ethics (CORE) Tutorial.
Adhering to the TCPS2 guidelines helps foster a community of conscientious researchers who carry out research in an ethically sound environment and are aware of how to ethically conduct research involving humans.
Retroactive to 2012, ethics applications require the CORE Tutorial certificate.
Researchers must self-register (please use your institution email address, e.g. [yourname]@ucalgary.ca) and complete the tutorial.
Once the tutorial is complete and you are issued a certificate, include your certificate in your application in IRISS.
The TCPS2 CORE Tutorial At-A-Glance
- Online tutorial located on the Panel on Research Ethics website.
- Retroactive to 2012 for new faculty and graduate students and required by 2015 for current faculty. The CORE Tutorial certificate, issued upon successful completion of the online training, is a required supporting document when submitting an ethics application.
- When engaging in research involving humans, research must be conducted in a fashion that adheres to Tri-Council's guidelines and stipulations. The tutorial provides background and awareness needed to ensure research project meet ethical standards.
- Next steps:
- Register an account with your institution email address
- Start the three-hour, basic online tutorial
- Multiple choice with a certificate upon successful completion
- Eight (8) models focusing on TCPS2 guidance applicable to all research across discipline and methodology
- Self-paced - researchers can complete the course over time or all at once
- Check out the CORE User Guide
- Review the Common Questions section of the TCPS2 CORE Tutorial website
- When registering, identify the University of Calgary as your institution. Please use your UCalgary.ca email address when you set up your account (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Refer to the TCPS2 (2022) document