Research Management System (RMS)
The Research Management System (RMS) is a new platform that manages the pre-award, post-award, and publication phases of a research grant or contract. Throughout the Grants and Contracts life-cycle, RMS interfaces with other UCalgary systems, such as IRISS and PeopleSoft, to provide a seamless process for grants and awards management, eliminate re-keying of data and heightened transparency into the status of applications at any time.
RMS will be rolled out across several releases, with increased functionality at each release. Release 1 will focus on a select number of competitions, and will go live on June 11, 2019. We expect that all releases will be complete by September 2020.
Training for researchers will be offered the last week of May and the first week of June. Training will be available on a first-come first-served basis, and prioritized for those who are planning to apply for competitions included in the first releases. Contact the project team at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange training.
Training opportunities for researchers will continue to be available throughout the year, and online training materials will become available.
Please contact the RMS project team with any questions.
- Release 1: June 11, 2019
- Review the list below and the Funding Deadline Calendar for competitions that will be managed with RMS
Note this website will be updated frequently, please check back for more information.
Release 1 Competitions:
- Arthritis Society – STARS Program
- Alberta Gambling Research Institute (AGRI): Major Grants
- Canadian Blood Services
- Weston Brain Institute: Rapid Response and Transformational Research for Alzheimer’s and Related Diseases (full application only)
- SSHRC: Connection
- The Arthritis Society – Strategic Operating Grants
- Heart & Stroke Foundation: Grant in Aid
- Alberta Innovates: Strategic Networking & Development
- Alberta Innovates - Cancer Screen Research and Innovation Opportunity: Stream II - Solution Implementation
- Lung Cancer Canada: Geoff Ogram Memorial Research Grant
- SSHRC Knowledge Synthesis Grant: Informing Best Practices in Environmental and Impact Assessment
Other competitions may be included in Release 1, pending posting date and feasibility. This list will be updated accordingly.
If you plan to submit to one of the listed competitions, please contact the project team as soon as possible to arrange training.
- The Research Management System (RMS) is a new platform that manages the pre-award, post-award, and publication phases of a research grant or contract. Throughout the Grants and Contracts life-cycle, RMS interfaces with other UCalgary systems, such as IRISS and PeopleSoft, to provide a seamless process for grants and awards management, eliminate re-keying of data and heightened transparency into the status of applications at any time.
- The implementation of RMS is a multi-year project, co-sponsored by the Vice-President (Research) and the Vice-President (Finance & Services).
- The Research Management System (RMS) is considered a research enabler directly aligned to help meet the goals of our Eyes High vision and Research Plan.
RMS will help to reduce administrative burdens, leaving researchers to focus more time on research than management.
The first limited release is intended to support a variety of smaller single sponsor Competitions. There are numerous advantages to this including user and faculty experience with the application, completion of training for many super users and positive benefits of early adoption.
- Replacement of current paper-based submission process for Grants and Contracts
- Academic approval will be captured and routed electronically
- Project set-up in PeopleSoft will be automated
- Validation and curation of publications will be automated
Click here to view a comparison chart of how the process of management will change from the current process to a new, more efficient one.
RMS will increase operational efficiencies for the research community. RMS will provide users with:
- Increased workflow visibility
- Time savings through improved process efficiency
- Optimized automated interfaces that consolidates key information together in one system
- Accessible and appropriate support services to resolve issues in a timely manner
Release 1, focused on a subset of external grants (pre-award only), is planned to be available in June 2019.
Functionality and expanded grant & award coverage is planned to be added every few months thereafter.
RMS support is available Monday-Friday, 8:30 am - 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Integrated Service Centre (ISC)
For general help using RMS, including with tasks such as:
- Finding and connecting relevant resources
Contact the Integrated Service Centre via email, phone, or in person:
MAIN CAMPUS (Math Sciences 773)
FOOTHILLS CAMPUS (Health Science Centre G204
RMS Project Team Helpline
For a limited time, contact a subject matter expert from the RMS project team for training or in-depth support, including:
- Technical inquiries
- Roles/roleset inquiries
- Bug reporting
Contact the RMS Project Team Helpline, via email or phone:
The RMS Project Team Helpline is a supplemental service that will be available until August 31, 2019.