Research Management System (RMS)
RMS (Research Management System) manages the pre-award (LOI and Application) and post-award stages for research grants. Throughout the grants life-cycle, RMS interfaces with other UCalgary systems, such as IRISS and PeopleSoft, to provide a seamless process for grants and awards management, eliminate re-keying of data and heightened transparency into the status of applications at any time.
- RMS Project Revitalization: 2021-2022. As part of our commitment to creating a functional, user-friendly and cost-effective system, the RMS has begun a project revitalization process. This entails evaluating priorities and realigning our work to ensure we’re spending our time on the right things.
- Release 3: June 2020
- Release 2: December 2019
- Release 1: June 2019
- See list below and visit the Funding Deadline Calendar for competitions that will be managed with RMS
Note this website will be updated frequently with new information.
Log in to RMS
CAS credentials and Multi-Factor Authentication required to access RMS.
New to RMS?
Please view these videos if you haven't attended a training session.
Training is available on a first-come first-served basis, and prioritized for those who are planning to apply for competitions included in the first releases. Contact the project team at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange training.
Find training session dates, how-tos and quick reference guides for many common tasks in RMS:
Get started with RMS
Access to RMS
RMS access is governed by roles defined in PeopleSoft. Note that:
- When a person changes roles within the university, they will lose existing permissions in PeopleSoft.
- If you must delegate signing authority to someone who does not yet have appropriate access in RMS, you must first ensure that they have the correct role in PeopleSoft.
In either case, a request must be submitted through PSAR (PeopleSoft Access Request).
This process may take 72 hours or more so it should not be relied upon for last-minute submissions.
- Initiate PSAR process
- Once the individual has the correct role in PeopleSoft, their role will be updated in RMS within 24 hours.
Note that as of October 4, 2019, FortiClient VPN is no longer required to log into RMS from non-UCalgary networks. Read more about logging into RMS.
RMS support is available Monday-Friday, 8:30 am - 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm
For general help using RMS, including with tasks such as:
- Finding and connecting relevant resources
- Role access issues or PeopleSoft Access Request (PSAR)
Contact UService via email, phone, or in person:
MAIN CAMPUS (Math Sciences 773)
FOOTHILLS CAMPUS (Health Science Centre G204)
RMS Project Team
As RMS is going through the Revitalization phase, we are busy analyzing the current state and functionality of the RMS project. Even though we are happy to help support you on your requests, currently, the project team has limited resources to answer all of them. If you need support and it impacts your ability to do your work, please email the team at email@example.com, not individual team members. Our commitment is to respond to your email within one working day.
The RMS Project Team can assist with tasks such as:
- Technical inquiries
- Bug reporting
Contact the RMS Project Team:
Competitions available for pre-award in RMS:
- Competitions are regularly added to RMS; they will be indicated in the Funding Deadline Calendar with the RMS tag.
- Note that some competitions have earlier Registration or LOI phases not yet running through RMS, so please check the Funding Deadline Calendar for full submission details.
- Competitions are continually added to the Funding Deadline Calendar.
If you plan to submit to one of the competitions through RMS, please ensure that you and your team members complete the appropriate steps:
1. Set up Multi-Factor Authentication, if you have not done so already (required to access RMS)
2. Arrange RMS Training
- Alberta Lung Association – Grant-In-Aid
- Crohn’s and Colitis – Grant-In-Aid
- Crohn’s and Colitis – Innovations in IBD
- Alberta Innovates – PRIHS 2 (full application)
- SSHRC - Connection Grants
- SSHRC – Insight Development Grant
- Cancer Research Society Operating Grant (full application)
- MSI Foundation Research Grant (full application)
- Weston Brain Institute: Rapid Response and Transformational Research for Alzheimer’s and Related Diseases (full application only)
- Canadian Blood Services
- SSHRC Knowledge Synthesis Grant: Informing Best Practices in Environmental and Impact Assessment
- CIHR Network Catalyst Grants
- The Arthritis Society – Strategic Operating Grants
- Heart & Stroke Foundation: Grant in Aid
- Alberta Innovates - Cancer Screening Research and Innovation Opportunity: Stream II - Solution Implementation
RMS will be used by a wide variety of faculty, staff, and students across all UCalgary campuses. General project updates are sent to the Academic Staff list; detailed updates are sent more frequently to people who are actively engaged with RMS.
If you are not an academic staff member, or if you wish to receive all RMS project updates (including functionality changes, new training materials, etc), please opt-in below.
Thanks! You'll get a confirmation email shortly.
Collection of personal information
Your personal information is collected under the authority of section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and is required for updating your email subscription preferences. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please visit our Access to Information page.
- October 2021 RMS Newsletter
- September 2021 RMS Newsletter
- August 2021 RMS Newsletter
- 14 June 2021 Changes to RMS Support
- May 2021 RMS Newsletter
- April 2021 RMS Newsletter
- February and March 2021 RMS Newsletter
- January 2021 RMS Newsletter
- December 2020 RMS Newsletter
- November 2020 RMS Newsletter
- October 2020 RMS Newsletter
- 10 Sept 2020 Fall Funding Competitions in RMS
- August 2020 RMS Newsletter
- July 2020 RMS Newsletter
- 17 June 2020 Project Update
- May 2020 RMS Newsletter
- April 2020 RMS Newsletter
- 5 December 2019 Project Update
- 5 November 2019 Scheduled Maintenance
- 16 August 2019 Project Update
- 21 May 2019 Project Update
- The Research Management System (RMS) is a new platform that manages the pre-award, post-award, and publication phases of a research grant or contract. Throughout the Grants and Contracts life-cycle, RMS interfaces with other UCalgary systems, such as IRISS and PeopleSoft, to provide a seamless process for grants and awards management, eliminate re-keying of data and heightened transparency into the status of applications at any time.
- The implementation of RMS is a multi-year project, co-sponsored by the Vice-President (Research) and the Vice-President (Finance & Services).
- The Research Management System (RMS) is considered a research enabler directly aligned to help meet the goals of our Eyes High vision and Research Plan.
RMS will help to reduce administrative burdens, leaving researchers to focus more time on research than management.
The first limited release is intended to support a variety of smaller single sponsor Competitions. There are numerous advantages to this including user and faculty experience with the application, completion of training for many super users and positive benefits of early adoption.
- Replacement of current paper-based submission process for Grants and Contracts
- Academic approval will be captured and routed electronically
- Project set-up in PeopleSoft will be automated
- Validation and curation of publications will be automated
Click here to view a comparison chart of how the process of management will change from the current process to a new, more efficient one.
RMS will increase operational efficiencies for the research community. RMS will provide users with:
- Increased workflow visibility
- Time savings through improved process efficiency
- Optimized automated interfaces that consolidates key information together in one system
- Accessible and appropriate support services to resolve issues in a timely manner
Release 1, focused on a subset of external grants (pre-award only), went live in June 2019.
Functionality and expanded grant & award coverage is planned to be added every few months thereafter.