Research Management System (RMS)
The Research Management System (RMS) is a new platform that manages the pre-award, post-award, and publication phases of a research grant or contract. Throughout the Grants and Contracts life-cycle, RMS interfaces with other UCalgary systems, such as IRISS and PeopleSoft, to provide a seamless process for grants and awards management, eliminate re-keying of data and heightened transparency into the status of applications at any time.
RMS will be rolled out across several releases, with increased functionality at each release. We expect that all releases will be complete by September 2020.
Log in to RMS
CAS credentials and Multi-Factor Authentication required
Get started with RMS
Note that General VPN is required if you are on any non-UCalgary network, including AHS.
- AHS staff who already have the FortiClient VPN client may connect to the General VPN network.
- AHS staff using an AHS issued device who do not yet have FortiClient may contact the AHS Service Desk to make a software request,
- AHS staff using a non-AHS issued device (including personal devices) may contact UCalgary IT Support at firstname.lastname@example.org to have FortiClient installed.
Competitions currently managed in RMS:
Release 1 Competitions:
- Weston Brain Institute: Rapid Response and Transformational Research for Alzheimer’s and Related Diseases (full application only)
- Canadian Blood Services
- SSHRC Knowledge Synthesis Grant: Informing Best Practices in Environmental and Impact Assessment
- CIHR Network Catalyst Grants
- The Arthritis Society – Strategic Operating Grants
- Heart & Stroke Foundation: Grant in Aid
- Alberta Innovates - Cancer Screening Research and Innovation Opportunity: Stream II - Solution Implementation
- SSHRC: Connection
- Alberta Innovates: Strategic Networking & Development
Other competitions may be included in Release 1, pending posting date and feasibility. This list will be updated accordingly.
If you plan to submit to one of the listed competitions, please contact the project team as soon as possible to arrange training.
Training is available on a first-come first-served basis, and prioritized for those who are planning to apply for competitions included in the first releases. Contact the project team at email@example.com to arrange training.
Find how-tos and quick reference guides for many common tasks in RMS:
Get RMS Updates
RMS will be used by a wide variety of faculty, staff, and students across all UCalgary campuses. General project updates are sent to the Academic Staff list; detailed updates are sent more frequently to people who are actively engaged with RMS.
If you are not an academic staff member, or if you wish to receive all RMS project updates (including functionality changes, new training materials, etc), please opt-in below.
Thanks! You'll get a confirmation email shortly.
Collection of personal information
Your personal information is collected under the authority of section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and is required for updating your email subscription preferences. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please contact University Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org
RMS support is available Monday-Friday, 8:30 am - 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Integrated Service Centre (ISC)
For general help using RMS, including with tasks such as:
- Finding and connecting relevant resources
Contact the Integrated Service Centre via email, phone, or in person:
MAIN CAMPUS (Math Sciences 773)
FOOTHILLS CAMPUS (Health Science Centre G204
RMS Project Team Helpline
For a limited time, contact a subject matter expert from the RMS project team for training or in-depth support, including:
- Technical inquiries
- Roles/roleset inquiries
- Bug reporting
Contact the RMS Project Team Helpline, via email or phone:
The RMS Project Team Helpline is a supplemental service that will be available until August 31, 2019.
- The Research Management System (RMS) is a new platform that manages the pre-award, post-award, and publication phases of a research grant or contract. Throughout the Grants and Contracts life-cycle, RMS interfaces with other UCalgary systems, such as IRISS and PeopleSoft, to provide a seamless process for grants and awards management, eliminate re-keying of data and heightened transparency into the status of applications at any time.
- The implementation of RMS is a multi-year project, co-sponsored by the Vice-President (Research) and the Vice-President (Finance & Services).
- The Research Management System (RMS) is considered a research enabler directly aligned to help meet the goals of our Eyes High vision and Research Plan.
RMS will help to reduce administrative burdens, leaving researchers to focus more time on research than management.
The first limited release is intended to support a variety of smaller single sponsor Competitions. There are numerous advantages to this including user and faculty experience with the application, completion of training for many super users and positive benefits of early adoption.
- Replacement of current paper-based submission process for Grants and Contracts
- Academic approval will be captured and routed electronically
- Project set-up in PeopleSoft will be automated
- Validation and curation of publications will be automated
Click here to view a comparison chart of how the process of management will change from the current process to a new, more efficient one.
RMS will increase operational efficiencies for the research community. RMS will provide users with:
- Increased workflow visibility
- Time savings through improved process efficiency
- Optimized automated interfaces that consolidates key information together in one system
- Accessible and appropriate support services to resolve issues in a timely manner
Release 1, focused on a subset of external grants (pre-award only), went live in June 2019.
Functionality and expanded grant & award coverage is planned to be added every few months thereafter.