Research Management System (RMS)
The Research Management System (RMS) is a new platform that manages the pre-award, post-award, and publication phases of a research grant or contract. Throughout the Grants and Contracts life-cycle, RMS interfaces with other UCalgary systems, such as IRISS and PeopleSoft, to provide a seamless process for grants and awards management, eliminate re-keying of data and heightened transparency into the status of applications at any time.
New features and additional competitions will continue to be added in RMS.
Log in to RMS
CAS credentials and Multi-Factor Authentication required to access RMS
Get started with RMS
Delegate signing authority
Learn how to delegate signing authority in RMS during absences.
- Approvers can initiate this process through PSAR (PeopleSoft Access Request), or
- You can submit the request through IT
Access to RMS
RMS access is governed by roles defined in PeopleSoft. Note that:
- When a person changes roles within the university, they will lose existing permissions in PeopleSoft.
- If you must delegate signing authority to someone who does not yet have appropriate access in RMS, you must first ensure that they have the correct role in PeopleSoft.
In either case, a request must be submitted through PSAR (PeopleSoft Access Request).
This process may take 72 hours or more so it should not be relied upon for last-minute submissions.
- Initiate PSAR process
- Once the individual has the correct role in PeopleSoft, their role will be updated in RMS within 24 hours.
Note that as of October 4, 2019, FortiClient VPN is no longer required to log into RMS from non-UCalgary networks. Read more about logging into RMS.
The following competitions are now available for pre-award in RMS:
Competition | Internal Deadline
SSHRC Partnership Engage Grants | 11 Sept 2020
NSERC Promoscience | 11 Sept 2020
SSHRC Insight Grants | 29 Sept 2020
COVID-19 Immunity Task Force | 7 Oct 2020
CIHR Project Grant | 9 Oct 2020
NSERC Research Tools and Instruments (RTI) | 22 Oct 2020
NSERC Discovery Grants | 29 Oct 2020
SSHRC Connection Grants | 29 Oct 2020
Canada Research Chairs | 2 Nov 2020
- Competitions are regularly added to RMS; they will be marked in the Funding Deadline Calendar.
- Note that some competitions have earlier Registration or LOI phases note yet running through RMS, so please check the Funding Deadline Calendar for full submission details.
- Please note that changes to deadlines may not be reflected here.
- Competitions will continue to be added to RMS.
If you plan to submit to one of the competitions listed here, please ensure that you and your team members complete the appropriate steps:
1. Set up Multi-Factor Authentication, if you have not done so already (required to access RMS)
2. Arrange RMS Training
- Alberta Lung Association – Grant-In-Aid
- Crohn’s and Colitis – Grant-In-Aid
- Crohn’s and Colitis – Innovations in IBD
- Alberta Innovates – PRIHS 2 (full application)
- SSHRC - Connection Grants
- SSHRC – Insight Development Grant
- Cancer Research Society Operating Grant (full application)
- MSI Foundation Research Grant (full application)
- Weston Brain Institute: Rapid Response and Transformational Research for Alzheimer’s and Related Diseases (full application only)
- Canadian Blood Services
- SSHRC Knowledge Synthesis Grant: Informing Best Practices in Environmental and Impact Assessment
- CIHR Network Catalyst Grants
- The Arthritis Society – Strategic Operating Grants
- Heart & Stroke Foundation: Grant in Aid
- Alberta Innovates - Cancer Screening Research and Innovation Opportunity: Stream II - Solution Implementation
RMS will be used by a wide variety of faculty, staff, and students across all UCalgary campuses. General project updates are sent to the Academic Staff list; detailed updates are sent more frequently to people who are actively engaged with RMS.
If you are not an academic staff member, or if you wish to receive all RMS project updates (including functionality changes, new training materials, etc), please opt-in below.
Thanks! You'll get a confirmation email shortly.
Collection of personal information
Your personal information is collected under the authority of section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and is required for updating your email subscription preferences. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please contact the Office of Advancement at email@example.com
- October 2020 RMS Newsletter
- 10 Sept 2020 Fall Funding Competitions in RMS
- August 2020 RMS Newsletter
- July 2020 RMS Newsletter
- 17 June 2020 Project Update
- May 2020 RMS Newsletter
- April 2020 RMS Newsletter
- 5 December 2019 Project Update
- 5 November 2019 Scheduled Maintenance
- 16 August 2019 Project Update
- 21 May 2019 Project Update
Training is available on a first-come first-served basis, and prioritized for those who are planning to apply for competitions included in the first releases. Contact the project team at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange training.
Find training session dates, how-tos and quick reference guides for many common tasks in RMS:
RMS support is available Monday-Friday, 8:30 am - 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm
UService (formerly Integrated Service Centre (ISC))
For general help using RMS, including with tasks such as:
- Finding and connecting relevant resources
Contact UService via email, phone, or in person:
MAIN CAMPUS (Math Sciences 773)
FOOTHILLS CAMPUS (Health Science Centre G204)
RMS Project Helpline
For a limited time, contact a subject matter expert from the RMS project team for training or in-depth support, including:
- Technical inquiries
- Roles/roleset inquiries
- Bug reporting
For help with RMS, please contact the Integrated Service Centre for assistance or:
The RMS Project Helpline is a supplemental service to support RMS users. The team is working remotely, but still available to help. For the phone line, please leave a voicemail and a member of the team will get back to you when available.
- The Research Management System (RMS) is a new platform that manages the pre-award, post-award, and publication phases of a research grant or contract. Throughout the Grants and Contracts life-cycle, RMS interfaces with other UCalgary systems, such as IRISS and PeopleSoft, to provide a seamless process for grants and awards management, eliminate re-keying of data and heightened transparency into the status of applications at any time.
- The implementation of RMS is a multi-year project, co-sponsored by the Vice-President (Research) and the Vice-President (Finance & Services).
- The Research Management System (RMS) is considered a research enabler directly aligned to help meet the goals of our Eyes High vision and Research Plan.
RMS will help to reduce administrative burdens, leaving researchers to focus more time on research than management.
The first limited release is intended to support a variety of smaller single sponsor Competitions. There are numerous advantages to this including user and faculty experience with the application, completion of training for many super users and positive benefits of early adoption.
- Replacement of current paper-based submission process for Grants and Contracts
- Academic approval will be captured and routed electronically
- Project set-up in PeopleSoft will be automated
- Validation and curation of publications will be automated
Click here to view a comparison chart of how the process of management will change from the current process to a new, more efficient one.
RMS will increase operational efficiencies for the research community. RMS will provide users with:
- Increased workflow visibility
- Time savings through improved process efficiency
- Optimized automated interfaces that consolidates key information together in one system
- Accessible and appropriate support services to resolve issues in a timely manner
Release 1, focused on a subset of external grants (pre-award only), went live in June 2019.
Functionality and expanded grant & award coverage is planned to be added every few months thereafter.