The Kavli Prize
Award amount and duration:
You are invited to nominate scientists whose basic research has fundamentally transformed the fields of astrophysics, nanoscience and neuroscience – the big, the small, and the complex.
The Kavli Prize recognizes and values that diverse perspectives enable breakthroughs, and we are committed to recognizing breakthrough science worldwide. We encourage nominators to be mindful of the full diversity of the scientific enterprise and be attuned to gender, race and ethnicity, geographical region, and institutional diversity.
The Kavli Prize honors scientists for breakthroughs in astrophysics, nanoscience and neuroscience – transforming our understanding of the big, the small and the complex. The Kavli Prize consists of USD $1,000,000 in each of the scientific fields.
Program application deadline
The nomination is open between July 1 and October 1, 2023.
- The right to nominate is open to anyone.
- Self-nominations will not be considered.
- Nominations are confidential and a nomination should not be made known to the nominee.
- The prize can be awarded to a single person or shared for closely related fundamental contributions.
- Deceased persons cannot be nominated.
- If a Kavli Laureate passes away before receiving the prize, then the prize will be awarded post mortem.
- The Kavli Prize is announced in June biennially.
Each nomination consists of four sections: nominator information, candidate information, candidates contribution and referee(s). At the end, you can preview your nomination.
Please note that the nomination form must be completed in English and in a single session; you will not be able to save your progress before submitting. Before you begin, review the submission requirements below to ensure you have all relevant information.
The nomination should be accompanied by
- a CV
- a description of the work and impact of the nominee/nominees
- optionally together with names of distinguished specialists in the field of the nominee/nominees who can be contacted for an independent opinion.