Dimensions: Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Canada
Dimensions Pilot Program
The University of Calgary is proud to have endorsed the Dimensions: Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Canada charter, and to have been selected to be part of the Dimensions pilot program.
Dimensions recognizes that a multiplicity of perspectives, lived experiences and the overall complexity of diverse individuals foster increased research excellence, innovation and creativity within the post-secondary sector. This program takes a multidimensional approach to equity, diversity and inclusion to achieve a future research community where all can thrive.
UCalgary Dimensions leadership
UCalgary has appointed an executive committee and a steering committee to accomplish the requirements of the Dimension pilot program. If you are interested in joining the Dimensions Steering Committee, please contact Kirsten Exall.
Chair: Dr. Malinda Smith, Vice-Provost (Equity, Diversity and Inclusion)
Bruce Evelyn, Vice-Provost (Planning and Resource Allocation)
Dr. Michael Hart, Vice-Provost (Indigenous Engagement)
Dr. Florentine Strzelczyk, Deputy Provost
Dr. Robert I. Thompson, Associate Vice-President (Research)
Lorna Very, Executive Director, Office of the Vice-President (Research)
Kirsten Exall, Director, Research Services Office
Pamela Hyde, Communications and Marketing Specialist, Office of the Vice-President (Research)
- Malinda Smith - Vice-Provost (Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion)
- Florentine Strzelczyk - Deputy Provost
- Robert Thompson - Associate Vice-President (Research)
- Marcello Tonelli - Associate Vice-President (Research)
- Penny Pexman - Associate Vice-President (Research)
- Michael Hart - Vice-Provost (Indigenous Engagement)
- Steve Vamosi - Associate Dean, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Faculty of Science
- Pamela Chu - Associate Dean, Professionalism, Equity and Diversity, CSM
- Qiao Sun - Senior Associate Dean, Diversity and Equity
- Sherry Weaver - Haskayne School of Business
- Colleen Kawalilak - Werklund School of Education
- Lorna Very - Executive Director, VPR - MAPS representative
- Kirsten Exall - Director, Institutional Programs, RSO
- Lindsay Lucas - AUPE representative
- Bruce Evelyn - Vice-Provost (Planning and Resource Allocation)
- Ellen Perrault - Dean, Faculty of Social Work
- AshleyConnect-Benoit - GSA representative
- Stephanie Kedzior - Postdoc representative
- Maureen Duffy - Faculty of Law
- Manpreet Sahota - Undergraduate student representative
- Aniela Dela Cruz - Faculty of Nursing
- John Brown - Dean, School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape
- Tuan Trang - Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Jeny Mathews-Thusoo Community Member - City of Calgary (Program Lead, Resilience & Infrastructure Calgary)
- Laleh Behjat - Schulich School of Engineering
- Jan Braun - Cumming School of Medicine
- Belinda Heyne - Faculty of Science
- William Yimbo - Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Donna-Marie McCafferty - Cumming School of Medicine/FGS
- Gregor Wolbring - Cumming School of Medicine
- Melanee Thomas - Faculty of Arts
- Keeta Gladue - Student and Enrolment Services, Writing Symbols Lodge
- Nicole Wheeler - Human Resources
- Carla Bertsch - Sexual Violence Support Advocate
- Garrett Beatty - International Student Advisor, Intercultural Programs
- Sandy Hershcovis - Haskayne School of Business
- Pamela Hyde - Specialist, Marketing and Communications
- Nazia Viceer - EDI Advisor, VPR Office
- Patrina Duhaney - Assistant Professor, Faculty of Social Work, Lethbridge Campus
- Jonah Secreti - Student
- Lynda Gwilliam - Executive Director, Facilities
- Francine Smith - Professor, CMS
- Carley L'Hirondelle - Human Resources
- Johanne Tottle - Director, Student Accessibility Services
- Nanako Furyama - Women's Resource Centre
- Jeffrey Horvath - Student/Community Member
- Andrew Szeto - Campus Mental Health Strategy
- Kome Odoko - Student Support Case Management Coordinator
- Le Ha Lewis - Director, Research Accounting
- Kristin Davick - Manager - Residence Life
- Jennifer Adams - Schulich School of Engineering faculty member, and CRC chair for Creativity
- William Rosehart - Schulich School of Engineering
Canada Research Chairs Program
The University of Calgary is committed to meeting the requirements of the Canada Research Chairs Program Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan. These principles help us overcome structural, social and cultural barriers to create an empowering, inclusive, respectful and safe environment that values the diversity and dignity of every person.
Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
We are committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive campus that is accessible to all and free from harassment, bullying, and discrimination.
The University of Calgary recognizes that diverse faculty, staff, students and alumni benefit and enrich the work, teaching, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and broader community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been, and continue to be, encountered by equity seeking groups, including women, Indigenous peoples, visible/racialized minorities, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ+.
We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here.
News and Highlights
For the third year running, hosted by the Office of Diversity, Equity and Protected Disclosure (ODEPD) with partners across campus, Diversity Days has been a time to celebrate the different voices we have in our UCalgary community and to learn about the challenges groups face as we work together to foster an inclusive campus.
Have you ever wondered what happens in a Women’s Studies class, or how to support the career success of international students in our campus community? The Office of Diversity, Equity and Protected Disclosure is inviting you to join the discussion at a series of Diversity Lunch and Learns scheduled over the next few weeks.
Dr. Malinda Smith appointed vice-provost (equity, diversity and inclusion)
Dr. Malinda Smith has been appointed vice-provost (equity, diversity and inclusion), effective Aug. 1, 2020.
Progress towards gender equity on campus
The University of Calgary and the University of Calgary Faculty Association (TUCFA) recently concluded a joint gender equity salary review.
Federal funding reflects Social Work researcher’s approach to calling ‘men in’
A federal announcement Aug. 16 by Women and Gender Equality (WAGE) Minister, Hon. Maryam Monsef, outlined the importance of involving and mobilizing men and boys in the fight for gender equality and to stop gender-based violence.
UCalgary guidelines updated for communicating about gender and sexual diversity
Language, like society itself, evolves. In the public realm, the terms used to define demographic groups grow and change, and it is essential for public institutions to acknowledge this shift in terminology by adjusting their language to meet these societal shifts.
Schulich School of Engineering: highest rate of diversity among faculties
Cambridge, Harvard and Yale graduates are coming to the University of Calgary to further their world-class research and teaching, according to a new study.
Dr. Pamela Chu appointed Associate Dean, Professionalism, Equity and Diversity
The Cumming School of Medicine (CSM) is pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. Pamela Chu, MD, as the new Associate Dean, Professionalism, Equity and Diversity. The appointment was effective Mar. 1, 2019. Pamela is an associate professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology with a cross-appointment in the Department of Oncology. She is a member of the section of Gynecologic Oncology, Alberta Health Services, Calgary Zone.
Exacting standards, flexible minds
That’s what engineering is all about in 2019, and it’s a message the Schulich School of Engineering once again carried with them as honoured participants in the annual Calgary Pride Parade as part of the University of Calgary’s enthusiastic 13-faculty turnout.
UCalgary joins Age-Friendly University global network
By joining the Age-Friendly University Network, UCalgary has committed to follow a set of core principles, including encouraging older adults’ participation in all aspects of university life, ensuring that the university's research agenda is informed by the needs of an aging society, and enhancing older adults’ access to a university’s range of health, wellness, and arts programs.
Supporting vulnerable youth in K-12 schools
While Bill 24 succeeded in ensuring Alberta schools must allow the establishment of Gay Straight Alliances at the request of students, Werklund School of Education researchers Andrew Luceno and Vanessa Vegter caution that this does not mean educators and administrators can abdicate their responsibility to create respectful and welcoming learning environments.