December 2023 Partnership Engage Grant
Award amount and duration:
Applicants must be affiliated with a Canadian postsecondary institution that holds institutional eligibility at the time of application. Researchers who maintain an affiliation with a Canadian postsecondary institution, but whose primary affiliation is with a non-Canadian postsecondary institution, are not eligible for applicant status.
Applicants who have received a SSHRC grant of any type but have failed to submit an achievement report by the deadline specified in their Notice of Award are not eligible to apply for another SSHRC grant until they have submitted the report.
Postdoctoral researchers are eligible to be applicants if they have formally established an affiliation with an eligible institution at the time of application, and maintain such an affiliation for the duration of the grant period.
Partnership Engage Grants are expected to respond to the objectives of the Insight program and the Connection program. However, Partnership Engage Grants cannot respond exclusively to the objectives of the Connection program.
These grants provide short-term and timely support for partnered research activities that will inform decision making at a single partner organization from the public, private or not-for-profit sector. The small-scale, stakeholder-driven partnerships supported through Partnership Engage Grants are meant to respond to immediate needs and time constraints facing organizations in non-academic sectors. In addressing an organization-specific need, challenge and/or opportunity, these partnerships let non-academic organizations and postsecondary researchers access each other’s unique knowledge, expertise and capabilities on topics of mutual interest.
For tools and resources to assist in the planning and implementation of your partnership, see SSHRC’s Partnerships Tool-Kit.
For SSHRC webinar slides, click here.
RSO detailed review deadline
RSO final internal review deadline
Program application deadline
NOTE: Consult your Faculty Associate Dean (Research) (ADR) regarding Faculty-specific deadlines and submission processes.
Principal Investigators: Complete a Research Management System (RMS) record, including a copy of your complete application, and submit this for approvals in RMS.
Postdocs, students, and trainees: For fellowships and externally-sponsored research training awards or opportunities, you must complete the Research Funding Application Approval (RFAA) Trainee PDF form, and submit it, along with a complete copy of the application, to Research Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. Trainees should not use RMS at this time.
Approvals: The University of Calgary requires that all funding applications be approved prior to submission. Approval requires signatures via either RMS or the RFAA Trainee form, in the following order:
- Principal Investigator
- Department Head
- Faculty ADR/Dean
- Research Services (on behalf of the Vice-President Research)
Read the Meaning of Grant Signatures policy to understand what your approval means. Please see the agency guidelines for details about which signatures are required on your application, as it may differ from internal requirements.
Late submissions: Late submissions will only be accepted in cases of medical or family emergencies, or other exceptional circumstances. If you submit your RMS record to Research Services after the internal deadline has passed, you must secure additional approvals. Please read: Late Applications Process.
- Complete your application in the SSHRC online system. When it is complete, verify and submit so that it advances to the Research Services Office. ***PLEASE NOTE: The SSHRC portal redirects the application to the University of Calgary Research Services; pressing "submit" does not submit the application to SSHRC.
- To initiate internal approvals, complete the pre-award/application record in RMS (https://research.ucalgary.ca/conduct-research/additional-resources/research-management-system-rms), and attach a download of your complete and final application from the SSHRC online portal. Please do not attach drafts, Word documents, etc. Also attach any other relevant documents, including letters confirming financial or in-kind support if applicable.
- Once complete, click "Save and set status", then select "submitted for approvals", and then select "Save and progress" in order to obtain approvals from your department head and/or faculty Associate Dean (Research).
Important: when submitting in RMS, please ensure that you allow time for academic approvals prior to the Research Services review deadline of December 12, 2023 at 12:00pm.
- Once these approvals are obtained, RMS will automatically forward the application record to Research Services for institutional review and approval.
- Research Services will review and provide feedback (by email and via RMS), as necessary.
- Once the application has undergone review and is in its final state, Research Services will obtain Institutional Approval and submit for adjudication by SSHRC through the SSHRC online system.
- As an optional service, Research Services will perform a full detailed administrative review for any applications received by December 1, 2023 at 4:00pm. The application must be received by RSO on both RMS and the SSHRC portal to initiate review.
Postdocs: must complete the Research Funding Application Approval (RFAA) Trainee PDF form, and submit it to email@example.com. Also ensure that your application is submitted on the SSHRC portal.
Social Sciencs and Humanities Research Council
December 2023 Partnership Engage Grant