Traditional Fulbright Scholar Awards
Award amount and duration:
- All eligibility requirements apply from the time of application.
- Applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin and/or disability.
- Fulbright Canada awards are merit-based, and may be held concurrently with other awards and/or salaries.
- Be a Canadian citizen (Permanent residence is not sufficient).
- Hold a Ph.D. or equivalent professional/terminal degree as appropriate.
Candidates outside academia (e.g., professionals, artists) with recognized professional standing and substantial professional accomplishments.
- Be proficient in English.
- Be in compliance with all J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) guidelines.
- Be in compliance with all governmental regulations regarding visas, immigration, travel and residence.
APPLICANTS MUST NOT
- Be a dual U.S.-Canadian citizen.
- Hold permanent residency status in the United States.
- Reside in the United States.
- Have resided abroad for five or more consecutive years in the six year period immediately preceding the date of application.
A period of nine months or more during a calendar year is considered to constitute a full year abroad.
Traditional Fulbright awards are open to Canadian scholars in all fields and are designed to enable emerging and established scholars, post-doctoral researchers and experienced professionals to conduct research, teach, or undertake a combination of both activities for one semester or a full academic year at any university or research center of their choice in the United States.
Specialization: While the competition is open to all disciplines, Fulbright Canada is particularly interested in encouraging research on contemporary issues relevant to Canada, the United States and the relationship between the two countries. Applicants should also clearly document the need to be in residence in the United States to carry out the project.
Program application deadline
- COMPETITION OPENS May 2023
- Awards to be taken up in the 2024-2025 Academic Year
- Applications accepted until November 15, 2023
- The next competition for awards to be taken up in the 2025-2026 Academic Year will open in May 2024.
- US$12,500 for one semester (4 months)
- September to December OR January to April
- Iman Abdulmoneim Program Officer, Recruitment
Affiliation: Applicants should arrange affiliation and include a letter of invitation from their preferred host institution(s). Applicants may also be considered for Fulbright Canada Research Chair awards as appropriate.
Applicants are encouraged to review the Fulbright Canada Research Chairs for opportunities that may fit with your research project. Applicants are encouraged to identify their top three choices in the online application.
Please review the Canadian Scholar Application Instructions. Click on the below button to be directed to the Online Application Package.
- Canadian Scholar Application Instructions (pdf, 27 pages)