Eyes High Postdoctoral Match-Funding Program
Apply by November 2, 2020
The Eyes High Postdoctoral Match-Funding Program is designed to support UCalgary faculty to recruit and support outstanding postdoctoral scholars.
This program will award partial salary support for postdocs who will be highly competitive for external awards and will help advance UCalgary’s strategic research and innovation plan. Funding will be awarded on a competitive basis.
This funding is intended for individuals who will be new postdocs at UCalgary at the start of their appointment.
Applications are to be submitted by the individual applying to be an Eyes High Postdoc, and not by their faculty supervisor.
Deadlines: November 2, 2020 and May 3, 2021
VPR will pay $25,000 per year, to be matched by postdoc's faculty supervisor. Supervisors must also provide employer paid benefits (Plan C), CPP, EI, and WCB.
Duration: 2 years
Up to 2 years maximum, subject to annual renewal. Renewal is contingent on the postdoc applying for all external awards for which they are eligible.
Individuals who anticipate starting a postdoc appointment within 12 months are eligible. Postdocs who currently or have previously held postdoc appointments at UCalgary are not eligible.
Appointment as a postdoctoral scholar under the primary supervision of a full-time faculty member of the University of Calgary. Individuals who anticipate starting a postdoctoral appointment at the University of Calgary within 12 months are eligible to apply.
The purpose of this award is to attract and support postdoctoral scholars (PDS) to the University of Calgary who will be highly competitive for external awards on the basis of their scholarly contributions, research leadership, and proposed research program, and will help advance the University of Calgary’s strategic research and innovation plan.
Thus, PDS holding this award are expected to apply for all external awards or grants for which they are eligible, including those from provincial or national agencies. Renewal of the Eyes High Postdoctoral funding for the second year is contingent on the PDS fulfilling this requirement. The Eyes High Postdoctoral funding cannot be held in conjunction with an external award.
Applicants must provide a letter of support from their research supervisor committing to provide a $25,000* annual component of the award plus employer paid benefits (Plan C), CPP, EI, and WCB.
Incentive funding: When a PDS is awarded external funding, it is anticipated that the supervisor contribution will be pro-rated, so that the PDS receives a total funding package that is at least $2,500 more than the total they received prior to securing external funding.
- A postdoctoral scholar is defined as an individual with five years or less of full-time training after PhD or other advanced degree. This window can be extended in cases of career interruption for extenuating circumstances, such as parental leave, illness, health-related family responsibilities, etc.
- Funding under this program is only available to faculty members for one postdoctoral scholar at a time.
- VPR support does not include benefits or employer CPP and EI contributions
- Funding cannot be allocated to a PDS who received their PhD from the University of Calgary, except in cases where personal circumstances require the PDS to remain in Calgary, or where there is a proposed change in research context (new supervisor, Institute, or Department/Faculty, etc)
- Funding cannot be allocated to a PDS who already holds a postdoctoral position at the University of Calgary or who has previously held a postdoctoral position at the University of Calgary.
- Individuals obtaining external support (i.e. tri-council, AIHS, MITACS, or equivalent) or any other internal funding must immediately inform the Postdoctoral Program Director to enable re-allocation of funding to other individuals.
- Funding will be subject to availability of funds.
Review criteria will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Quality of the candidate (e.g., impact and significance of previous research and creative contributions, evidence of research leadership); respecting the stage and nature of the applicant’s career path
- Quality of the proposed project, in terms of novelty/originality, feasibility, and expected impact (e.g., for discovery, society, policy, practice, innovation, etc)
- Supervisor’s current research, training and, where appropriate, innovation environment; early career supervisors are eligible and encouraged to apply
- Institutional synergy, including alignment of the proposed project with UCalgary research and innovation priorities
You must provide the following in your online application form:
- Contact information
- PhD completion information
- Contact information for 2 external references
- Ensure that your referees submit letters of reference to email@example.com on or before the application deadline. We will not be contacting referees to request letters.
- Do not list your UCalgary supervisor as a reference
- Proposed research project details
You must upload the following documents in a single PDF, in the following order, to the application form:
- Research project proposal
- 2 pages, plus 1 page references
- Include list of publications, and awards and scholarships received
- Confirmation of PhD degree completion
- not required if degree is pending
- Faculty supervisor's statement
- 1 page (include match-funding confirmation)
- Detailed plan for external funding applications
- 1 page
All documents must be on 8.5x11 pages, with minimum margins of 2 cm and minimum font size of 11 in Arial font.
We must also receive 2 letters of reference from external referees to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before the application deadline. These must be submitted by the referees, and not by the applicant.
Letters of reference must be on institutional letterhead and include the name, title, and signature of the external referee.
Review complete Terms & Conditions to confirm your eligibility for the program.
Funding cannot be allocated to a postdoc who already holds a postdoctoral position at UCalgary or who has previously held a postdoctoral position at the UCalgary.
Eyes High Postdoctoral funding cannot be held in conjunction with an external award.
The following documents must be compiled into a single PDF file, in the following order:Research project proposal CV Confirmation of PhD degree completion Faculty supervisor's statement Detailed plan for external funding applications
Review Application Requirements above for more details.
Apply for funding using the online application form. You will attach your compiled document PDF to your application form.
The applicant's 2 external references must submit their letters of reference to email@example.com by the deadline.
Deadlines: Nov 2, 2020 and May 3, 2021