Eyes High Postdoctoral Match-Funding Program
Spring competition closes Monday, May 8, 2023
The Eyes High Postdoctoral Match-Funding Program is designed to support UCalgary faculty to recruit and support outstanding postdoctoral scholars.
This program will award partial salary support for postdoctoral associates who will be highly competitive for external awards and will help advance the University of Calgary’s strategic research and innovation plan. Funding will be awarded on a competitive basis.
This funding is intended for individuals who will be new postdoctoral scholars at UCalgary at the start of their appointment.
Applications are to be submitted by the individual applying to be an Eyes High Postdoctoral Fellowship holder, and not by their faculty supervisor.
Deadline: Monday, May 8th, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. MDT.
By proposed award start date, applicants must be eligible to hold an appointment as a new Postdoctoral Associate under the identified supervisor, in accordance with Article 5 of the UCalgary and PDAC Collective Agreement. Individuals should not hold a postdoctoral appointment at the time of application.
Applications from individuals who are already started their appointment as a University of Calgary postdoctoral scholar will not be accepted; however, individuals who have received an offer letter with a future start date, and duties have not commenced prior to receipt of successful competition results, will be eligible to receive the award.
The purpose of this award is to attract new Postdoctoral Associates to the University of Calgary who will be highly competitive for extramural awards on the basis of their scholarly contributions, research leadership, and proposed research program. Supporting them in these efforts advances the University of Calgary’s strategic research aims. Individuals holding this award must apply for all fellowship awards for which they are eligible, with a priority focus on extramural awards including those from provincial or national agencies. Renewal of the Eyes High award for the second year is contingent on the award holder having met this requirement. The Eyes High award cannot be combined with any award of equal or greater value (extramural or intramural), and any new funding awarded during the tenure of the Eyes High must be activated on the earliest possible date allowed under the terms of the new funding.
Applicants must provide a letter of support from their proposed supervisor committing to provide a $25,000.00 annual component of the award plus employer paid benefits (Plan C), CPP, EI, and WCB for the entire award period including the renewal year (i.e. a total of two years). The letter must acknowledge that the supervisor has reviewed and is familiar with the award terms stated here including the incentive funding in the event that the awardee successfully secures other fellowship funding. Supervisors of international postdocs are also responsible for the $230 Compliance Fee Payment to support the work permit application.
When an Eyes High award holder receives additional stipend-based fellowship funding (extramural or intramural), under the following conditions they will be eligible for an annual incentive of $2,500.00 from their supervisor’s project, pro-rated for the remaining period of the Eyes High award (see Terms of Reference for more details).
- Funding will not be allocated to a postdoctoral scholar who received their PhD from the University of Calgary, except in cases where personal circumstances require the PDS to remain in Calgary, or where there is a proposed change in research context (new supervisor, Institute, or Department/Faculty, etc)
- Funding cannot be allocated to a PDS who already holds a postdoctoral position at the University of Calgary or who has previously held a postdoctoral position at the University of Calgary.
- A postdoctoral scholar is defined as an individual with five years or less of full-time training after PhD or other advanced degree. This window can be extended in cases of career interruption for extenuating circumstances, such as parental leave, illness, health-related family responsibilities, etc.
Funding under this program is only available to faculty members for one postdoctoral scholar at a time.
VPR support does not include benefits or employer CPP and EI contributions
- Individuals obtaining external support (i.e. Tri-Council, AIHS, MITACS, or equivalent) or any other internal funding must immediately inform the Postdoctoral Program Director to enable re-allocation of funding to other individuals.
- Awards are always subject to the continuing availability of VPRO funds.
Review criteria will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
Quality of the candidate (e.g., impact and significance of previous research and creative contributions, evidence of research leadership); respecting the stage and nature of the applicant’s career path
Quality of the proposed project, in terms of novelty/originality, feasibility, and expected impact (e.g., for discovery, society, policy, practice, innovation, etc.)
Supervisor’s current research, training and, where appropriate, innovation environment; early career supervisors are eligible and encouraged to apply
Institutional synergy, including alignment of the proposed project with UCalgary research and innovation priorities
You must provide the following in your online application form:
- Contact information
- PhD completion information
- Contact information for 2 references
- Ensure that your referees submit letters of reference to email@example.com on or before the application deadline. We will not be contacting referees to request letters.
- Do not list your proposed UCalgary supervisor as a reference
- Proposed research project title
All documents must be on 8.5x11 pages, single-spaced with minimum margins of 2 cm and minimum font size of 11 in Arial font.
Attach the following as a single PDF, in the order listed below: Please include your first and last name in the PDF file attachment name
e.g. "Last Name, First Name Application.pdf"):
1. Completed Eyes High Matching Fellowship Research Project Summary form
- The summary form is available for download here.
2. Research project proposal 2 pages maximum, plus 1 page references
- Briefly describe the impact and significance of your previous research and creative contributions. Include evidence of research leadership if possible, considering the stage and nature of your career path.
- Briefly summarize your research project in terms of novelty / originality, feasibility, and expected impact (e.g. for discovery, society, policy, practice, innovation, etc.
3. CV Include list of publications, and awards and scholarships received.
4. Confirmation of PhD degree completion (not required if degree is pending)
5. Faculty supervisor's statement 1 page maximum
- Include match-funding confirmation.
- Outline how the supervisor’s current research, training and innovation environment will support the applicant's research.
- Explain how your proposed project will align with current UCalgary research and innovation priorities.
6. Detailed plan for external funding applications 1 page maximum
- List all of the external or internal postdoctoral fellowships you have applied for, or you are planning to apply for.
We must also receive 2 letters of reference from referees to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before the application deadline. These must be submitted by the referees, and not by the applicant.
Letters of reference must be on institutional letterhead and include the name, title, and signature of the referee.
Review complete Terms & Conditions to confirm your eligibility for the program.
Funding is generally not allocated to a postdoctoral scholar who has earned their PhD from UCalgary. Funding cannot be allocated to a postdoctoral scholar who already holds a postdoctoral position at UCalgary, or who has previously held a postdoctoral position at the UCalgary.
Eyes High funding cannot be held in conjunction with other funding.
The following documents must be compiled into a single PDF file, in the following order:
Research summary form
Research project proposal
Confirmation of PhD degree completion
Faculty supervisor's statement
Detailed plan for external funding applications (non-UCalgary administered)
Review Application Requirements above for more details.
Apply for funding using the online application form. You will attach your compiled document PDF to your application form.
The applicant's two references must submit their letters of reference to email@example.com by the deadline.
Spring competition closes
Monday, May 8th, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. MDT