Other: Travel Awards – Institute Community Support
Award amount and duration:
For an application to be eligible, all the requirements stated below must be met:
- The Nominated Principal Applicant (NPA) must be one of the following:
- A Trainee
- An Early Career Researcher (ECR)* or a knowledge user, affiliated with a Canadian postsecondary institution and/or its affiliated institutions (including hospitals, research institutes and other non-profit organizations with a mandate for health research and/or knowledge translation).
* ECR eligibility status as of the application deadline.
- The Institution Paid (if applicable) must be authorized to administer CIHR funds before the funding can be released (see Administration of Funds).
- The Nominated Principal Applicant MUST be the first author and presenter of the presentation or poster.
- Individuals are limited to ONE CIHR ICS Travel Award application per competition. Each application can only contain ONE presentation or paper; any additional presentation, paper or abstracts will be deleted.
- Only ONE ICS Travel Award will be awarded to a recipient in any calendar year (January 1 to December 31).
- Travel must occur between January 1, 2024 and December 31, 2024, unless otherwise specified in the Sponsor Description section by the Institute or Initiative.
- ICS Travel Awards are available to Canadians studying within Canada and abroad, and to Canadians and non-Canadians affiliated with a Canadian Institution at the time of the application deadline.
- See the Sponsor Description section of this funding opportunity for details on the additional Eligibility Requirements specific to each participating Institute or Initiative.
Through the Institute Community Support (ICS) Program, the CIHR Institutes and Initiatives are launching the ICS Travel Awards competition for students, postdoctoral fellows, early career researchers and knowledge users to present their own research at national and international meetings, workshops, and/or conferences.
The specific objective of this funding opportunity is:
- To provide travel funds to individuals in aid of research and knowledge translation activities consistent with the CIHR Initiative’s priorities or CIHR Institutes’ vision, mandate and strategic directions. In addition to this overarching objective, each participating Institute/Initiative has their own relevant Research Areas, outlined in the Sponsor Description section of this funding opportunity.
**Please note that the Institute of Infection and Immunity (III) requires application to this competition as a prerequisite to attend the upcoming III New Investigator Forum (NIF) in Toronto, April 2-4, 2024.
The objective of the NIF is to provide practical information and learning opportunities to promote the professional development of early career researchers, as well as late-stage postdoctoral fellows or research associates, whose research is relevant to III's mandate. CIHR-III and the CIHR HIV/AIDS and Sexually Transmitted and Blood-Borne Infections (STBBI) Research Initiative have partnered to provide funding for travel support to the NIF through the Institute Community Support (ICS) Travel Award funding opportunity. Application to the ICS Travel Award competition is mandatory to be eligible to participate in the NIF. Successful applicants will be invited to attend.
RSO final internal review deadline
Program application deadline
NOTE: Consult your Faculty Associate Dean (Research) (ADR) regarding Faculty-specific deadlines and submission processes.
Principal Investigators: Complete a Research Management System (RMS) record, including a copy of your complete application, and submit this for approvals in RMS.
Postdocs, students, and trainees: For this opportunity, please see the submission instructions below under "Additional Information".
Approvals: The University of Calgary requires that all funding applications be approved prior to submission. Approval requires signatures via either RMS or the RFAA Trainee form, in the following order:
- Principal Investigator
- Department Head
- Faculty ADR/Dean
- Research Services (on behalf of the Vice-President Research)
Read the Meaning of Grant Signatures policy to understand what your approval means. Please see the agency guidelines for details about which signatures are required on your application, as it may differ from internal requirements.
Late submissions: Late submissions will only be accepted in cases of medical or family emergencies, or other exceptional circumstances. If you submit your RMS record to Research Services after the internal deadline has passed, you must secure additional approvals. Please read: Late Applications Process.
**Please note that this competition has an additional "sponsor assessment" stage within ResearchNet that must be completed before the application can be submitted. The Task: Identify Sponsors requires confirmation of trainee/ECR status as indicated in the guidelines; trainees should include their supervisor as sponsor and ECRs should include their Department Head as sponsor.
Undergraduate trainees: no RFAA required, students should ask faculty to sign CIHR signing page
Graduate student trainees: no RFAA required, students can obtain signatures through the Faculty of Graduate Studies <email@example.com>
Postdocs: The Research Funding Application Approval (RFAA) Trainee PDF form is required. Please collect signatures and submit the form along with a copy of the complete application to Research Services via firstname.lastname@example.org
Faculty applicants follow the usual process:
Full application, plus approvals in RMS, will be required by RSO by noon on October 6, 2023. Please be sure to select "Submitted for approvals" (Under Save & Progress) in RMS in enough time to allow for approvals from your Department Head and/or ADR prior to the internal RSO deadline. Consult your department and faculty for more information on their approval processes and timelines.
Do not submit through ResearchNet until RSO's signature has been granted!!
Once institutional signature has been obtained, a copy of the CIHR signature page will be available via the RMS record, under Documents. Upload the CIHR signature page and routing slip in the Print/Upload Signature Pages task in ResearchNet by 6:00PM Calgary time on October 11, 2023.
Institute Community Support
New Investigator Forum