2024 Jane Coffin Childs Memorial Fund for Medical Research Postdoctoral Fellowship
Award amount and duration:
The applicant must meet all eligibility requirements as outlined here to apply:
- Postdoctoral applicants should have no more than 18 months of postdoctoral research experience at the time of the application deadline of February 1, 2024 (ie first postdoctoral position must not have commenced August 1, 2022). Please note that dual degree M.D.-Ph.D. applicants should contact the program office (email@example.com) regarding extended timeline criteria.
- Ph.D. degree must not have been conferred more than 24 months prior to the application deadline of February 1, 2024 (ie must not have conferred Ph.D. before Feb.1, 2022). Please note that dual degree M.D.-Ph.D. applicants should contact the program office (firstname.lastname@example.org) regarding extended timeline criteria.
- M.D. degree should not have been conferred more than three years before the application deadline of February 1, 2024 (ie must not have conferred M.D. before February 1, 2021).
- Ph.D. candidates that do not have their degree at time of the application deadline (February 1, 2024) are eligible to apply. If awarded, the applicant’s Ph.D. degree must be conferred prior to the start of the Fellowship.
- Postdoctoral training in the same institution in which the applicant received their Ph.D. is not preferred. Particularly, if it is in the same department. In the appropriate section of the application, please address this situation if you are proposing training either in the same institution or with the same department as your graduate work. Proposals that are in the same laboratory where the fellow received their Ph.D. will not be funded.
- Applicants who have accepted a postdoctoral research fellowship award are not eligible. (Candidates may hold a T32 at the time of application, but not concurrently with the Jane Coffin Childs Award.) Fellows may obtain additional awards or grants to cover research expenses only, but not stipends.
- Applicants must have identified a sponsoring laboratory and sponsoring institution prior to applying.
- Applicants may be citizens of any country, but awards for non-U.S. citizens can only be made to sponsoring institutions in the United States.
- No more than one Fellow per sponsor’s laboratory will be funded per award year. Multiple fellows may be funded in the same sponsor’s laboratory over multiple award years.
Term of Fellowship
The appointment will be for three years. The Fund recognizes that in some instances there may be valid reasons for changing both laboratory and sponsor during the course of the fellowship. Such changes require the permission of the Director with the advice of the Board of Scientific Advisors.
Applicants may be citizens of any country, but for foreign nationals awards will be made only for study in the United States. American citizens may hold a fellowship either in the United States or in a foreign country.
The JCC Fund is committed to mentoring and advancing people from all backgrounds and through its role as a funder of biomedical research, is dedicated to increasing the diversity of the scientific workforce.
Attendance at the annual symposium of the Jane Coffin Childs Fund is required each year of the fellowship. All meeting expenses for attendees’ travel, lodging, and meals hosted by JCC are paid for by JCC.
An award does not constitute an employer-employee relationship between the Foundation and the JCC Fellow, if supported by JCC or Merck.
During the term of the fellowship, sponsors are required to provide medical benefits for the Fellow.
Please note that JCC Fellows supported by the JCC/HHMI partnership and in the laboratory of an HHMI investigator have unique terms as outlined at the time of the award by JCC and HHMI.
Stipend & Expenses
- The basic stipend is $70,000 for the first year, $72,000 for the second year, and $74,000 the third year.
- An additional $1,000 of stipend support is provided annually per dependent child under the age of 18.
- An allowance of $2,000 a year toward the cost of the research will be made available to the laboratory sponsoring the fellow. The research allowance is not to be used for travel and the use of the research funds are left to the discrepancy of the fellow and sponsor.
- The fellow may be reimbursed up to $1,800 total for travel to scientific meetings. Travel funding is to be spent over the three year fellowship according to the Jane Coffin Childs Fund travel policy that is distributed to fellows at the time of award notification.
- The Fund provides a one-time relocation award for the fellow and their family to move to the sponsoring laboratory, capped at $500.
- In 2008 The Joan A. Steitz Fund of the Community Foundation for Greater New Haven was established as an Endowed Designated Fund for the benefit of Jane Coffin Childs Memorial Fund to provide stipends for child care to all fellows with dependents under the age of 18. There is no application or paperwork due on the part of the fellow and further information will be provided to awardees at the time of award.
- Second and third year funding of awards is contingent upon submission of an annual fiscal and narrative report.
RSO final internal review deadline
Program application deadline
NOTE: Consult your Faculty Associate Dean (Research) (ADR) regarding Faculty-specific deadlines and submission processes.
Principal Investigators: Complete a Research Management System (RMS) record, including a copy of your complete application, and submit this for approvals in RMS.
Postdocs, students, and trainees: For fellowships and externally-sponsored research training awards or opportunities, you must complete the Research Funding Application Approval (RFAA) Trainee PDF form, and submit it, along with a complete copy of the application, to Research Services at email@example.com. Trainees should not use RMS at this time.
Approvals: The University of Calgary requires that all funding applications be approved prior to submission. Approval requires signatures via either RMS or the RFAA Trainee form, in the following order:
- Principal Investigator
- Department Head
- Faculty ADR/Dean
- Research Services (on behalf of the Vice-President Research)
Read the Meaning of Grant Signatures policy to understand what your approval means. Please see the agency guidelines for details about which signatures are required on your application, as it may differ from internal requirements.
Late submissions: Late submissions will only be accepted in cases of medical or family emergencies, or other exceptional circumstances. If you submit your RMS record to Research Services after the internal deadline has passed, you must secure additional approvals. Please read: Late Applications Process.