2023 DAAD Research Stays for University Academics and Scientists
Award amount and duration:
University teachers and established academics and scientists who have usually completed a doctoral degree and work at a university or research institute in their home country can apply.
- You must work at a university or institute of higher education in your home country.
- The research project must be coordinated with an academic host institute in Germany. You must be provided with a workplace.
- Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States or Canada. German nationals must have been affiliated with a United States or Canadian institution in full-time employment for at least ten consecutive years.
- Applicants must possess adequate knowledge of the German language to carry out the proposed research project. In your proposal, please refer to the language skills needed for your research.
Former holders of fellowships from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation are requested to contact first the Humboldt Foundation.
This programme offers you the opportunity to network amongst colleagues and exchange experience in the framework of short-term research stays in Germany. The scholarships are funded by the German Federal Foreign Office.
The programme provides funding for research stays at state or state-recognised institutions of higher education or non-university research institutes in Germany. A research stay can also take place at several host institutions.
Funding may only be claimed once within three years.
Lecture tours or visits to congresses are not funded.
Funding is provided for one to three months. Please indicate in your application how long you wish to receive funding. The funding period will then be determined during the selection process by a selection committee. The committee takes into account your work plan.
The grant is non-renewable.
Please note in your time planning that the funded stays should be completed by January 2025 at the latest.
- Monthly payments of
- €2,000 for assistant teachers, assistant professors and lecturers
- €2,150 for professors
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
- In the case of a disability or chronic illness: subsidy for additional costs which result from the disability or chronic illness and are not covered by other funding providers: Further information
- Green Mobility Top Up (Support for climate-friendly travel) or partial reimbursement of carbon offset payments for air travel
Please note: Health insurance coverage is mandatory in Germany. If you do not have a corresponding home health insurance, you will be insured by the DAAD. The costs will be deducted from the scholarship payment.
- Online application form through the DAAD portal
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (max. 3 pages)
- List of academic publications (max. 3 pages)
- Comprehensive statement about research project (max. 10 pages).
- Time schedule and itinerary (host institutes / academic hosts) of the planned research stay (to be uploaded under ‘time schedule’ in the DAAD portal)
- Confirmation from the academic host in Germany; the confirmation must refer to your project and guarantee that the host institute in Germany will provide you with a workplace.
RSO detailed review deadline
RSO final internal review deadline
Program application deadline
NOTE: Consult your Faculty Associate Dean (Research) (ADR) regarding Faculty-specific deadlines and submission processes.
Principal Investigators: Complete a Research Management System (RMS) record, including a copy of your complete application, and submit this for approvals in RMS.
Postdocs, students, and trainees: Complete the Research Funding Application Approval (RFAA) Trainee PDF form, and submit it, along with a complete copy of the application, to Research Services at email@example.com. Trainees should not use RMS at this time.
Approvals: The University of Calgary requires that all funding applications be approved prior to submission. Approval requires signatures via either RMS or the RFAA Trainee form, in the following order:
- Principal Investigator
- Department Head
- Faculty ADR/Dean
- Research Services (on behalf of the Vice-President Research)
Read the Meaning of Grant Signatures policy to understand what your approval means. Please see the agency guidelines for details about which signatures are required on your application, as it may differ from internal requirements.
Late submissions: Late submissions will only be accepted in cases of medical or family emergencies, or other exceptional circumstances. If you submit your RMS record to Research Services after the internal deadline has passed, you must secure additional approvals. Please read: Late Applications Process.
German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
German Federal Foreign Office
Short-term research stays in Germany