Operating Grant: TRANSCAN-3 (JTC 2023)
Award amount and duration:
For an application to be eligible, all the requirements stated below must be met:
- The Nominated Principal Applicant (NPA) leading the Canadian component must be an independent researcher, affiliated with a Canadian postsecondary institution and/or its affiliated institutions (including hospitals, research institutes and other non-profit organizations with a mandate for health research and/or knowledge translation).
- The NPA must have their substantive role in Canada for the duration of the requested grant term.
- The Institution Paid must be authorized to administer CIHR funds by the application deadline (see List of CIHR Eligible Institutions).
- Each transnational team must involve a minimum of three (3) and a maximum of six (6) partners coming from different countries/regions participating in the JTC 2023 call.
- In order to strengthen the European translational cancer research area, a wide inclusion of research teams from all the countries/regions participating in the call is encouraged. As such, the maximum number of partners can be increased up to seven (7) if the team includes one partner from the following participating countries: Hungary, Latvia, Slovakia and Turkey.
- The partners must be from at least three (3) different countries participating in the call. In addition, a consortium must not involve more than two (2) research groups from the same country (in such cases the minimum number of groups must be 4, coming from 3 different countries).
- Only one Canadian research group will be funded per consortium.
All Canadian applications must additionally meet TRANSCAN-3 eligibility criteria. Consult TRANSCAN-3 JTC 2023 Call for details.
The TRANSCAN-3 partners have agreed to focus their third Joint Transnational Call for proposals (JTC 2023) on: "Translational research on cancer epigenetics". TRANSCAN-3 aims at promoting highly innovative and ambitious collaborative projects in translational cancer research at European and international level, and considers that, based on the previous grounds, it is timely and relevant to focus its funding on this topic.
Aim of TRANSCAN-3 JTC 2023 Call
In the context of translational research, this topic will comprise 2 general aims which concur to the possible clinical applications. Proposals should cover one or several of the specific aims listed below and should be built from a solid and established hypothesis.
Aim 1) The role of epigenetics in cancer initiation and progression.
Aim 2) Validation of new epigenetics-based therapeutic strategies to limit cancer progression, prevent relapse/recurrence or increase the efficiency or reduce toxicity of existing anti-cancer therapies.
RSO internal deadline
Pre-application program deadline
RSO final internal review deadline
Program application deadline
NOTE: Consult your Faculty Associate Dean (Research) (ADR) regarding Faculty-specific deadlines and submission processes.
Principal Investigators: Complete a Research Management System (RMS) record, including a copy of your complete application, and submit this for approvals in RMS.
Postdocs, students, and trainees: For fellowships and externally-sponsored research training awards or opportunities, you must complete the Research Funding Application Approval (RFAA) Trainee PDF form, and submit it, along with a complete copy of the application, to Research Services at email@example.com. Trainees should not use RMS at this time.
Approvals: The University of Calgary requires that all funding applications be approved prior to submission. Approval requires signatures via either RMS or the RFAA Trainee form, in the following order:
- Principal Investigator
- Department Head
- Faculty ADR/Dean
- Research Services (on behalf of the Vice-President Research)
Read the Meaning of Grant Signatures policy to understand what your approval means. Please see the agency guidelines for details about which signatures are required on your application, as it may differ from internal requirements.
Late submissions: Late submissions will only be accepted in cases of medical or family emergencies, or other exceptional circumstances. If you submit your RMS record to Research Services after the internal deadline has passed, you must secure additional approvals. Please read: Late Applications Process.
The application process for this funding opportunity is comprised of two steps: 1. Pre-Proposal to the TRANSCAN-3 Joint Call Secretariat (JCS), and 2a. Full Proposal to the TRANSCAN-3 JCS and 2b. Abbreviated CIHR application.
Step 1 — Pre-Proposal to the JCS (deadline July 21, 2023)
- Pre-proposal must be written in English and submitted to the JCS by the coordinator through the PT-Outline electronic submission system. For more information, consult the TRANSCAN-3 JTC 2023 Call for details on how to apply.
- Note that NO documents need to be submitted to CIHR at the pre-proposal stage.
Step 2a — Full Proposal to the JCS
- Invited full proposals must be written in English and submitted to the JCS by the coordinator through the PT-Outline electronic submission system. Note that full proposals will only be accepted from applicants explicitly invited by the JCS to submit. For more information, consult TRANSCAN-3 JTC 2023 Call for details on how to apply.
Step 2b — Abbreviated CIHR Application
- The Canadian component of the transnational team invited to submit a Full Proposal to the JCS must complete an abbreviated CIHR application (in one of the two official languages of Canada) and submit it using ResearchNet.
Submission to RSO:
Full application, plus approvals in RMS, will be required by RSO by noon on Monday, December 11, 2023. Please be sure to select "Submitted for approvals" (Under Save & Progress) in RMS in enough time to allow for approvals from your Department Head and/or ADR prior to the internal RSO deadline. Consult your department and faculty for more information on their approval processes and timelines.
Do not submit through ResearchNet until RSO's signature has been granted!!
Once institutional signature has been obtained, a copy of the CIHR signature page will be available via the RMS record, under Documents. Upload the CIHR signature page and routing slip in the Print/Upload Signature Pages task in ResearchNet by 6:00PM Calgary time on Friday, December 15, 2023.
Support for projects involving Indigenous Research:
Support with the development of your grant application is available internally through the Indigenous Research Support Team (IRST). Applicants can reach out by email to IRST at IRST@ucalgary.ca in advance of the RSO internal deadline. For more information about IRST, please visit the IRST webpage.
Support for Knowledge Engagement:
Support for knowledge mobilization/engagement/translation is available internally through the Knowledge Engagement Team. Applicants can reach out by email to the KE team at firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of the RSO internal deadline. For more information, please visit the KE team webpage.
Support for Research Data Management:
For information on research data management plans, processes, or best practices for your research program, please contact email@example.com and/or visit https://libguides.ucalgary.ca/researchdatamanagement.