Humboldt Research Fellowships for Experienced Researchers
Award amount and duration:
1. Doctorate or comparable academic degree (Ph.D., C.Sc. or equivalent), completed less than twelve years prior to the date of application. If it is not possible or customary to take a doctorate in the candidate’s subject or country, an application may be submitted up to 16 years after completing a Master's or Diploma degree, provided that the publication record is commensurate with the candidate’s career stage.
2. The candidate’s own research profile documented by a comprehensive list of academic publications reviewed according to international standards and printed in journals and/or by publishing houses.
3. Confirmation that research facilities are available and mentoring agreement and a detailed expert’s statement by an academic host at a research institution in Germany.
4. Two expert reviews from important collaborative partners and/or academics from the candidate’s own institute and, if possible, from abroad.
5. Necessary language skills: humanities or social sciences and medicine: good knowledge of German if it is necessary to carry out the research successfully; otherwise a good knowledge of English; natural sciences and engineering: good knowledge of German or English.
Eligible applicants must have lived outside Germany for a minimum of 12 months in total in the 18-month period prior to submission of the application. Any person who, regardless of their country of residence, has supported themselves for more than six out of the last 18 months with financing from a German institution also is not eligible to apply.
Potential applicants of German nationality are eligible to apply provided that their habitual place of work and residence has been located abroad on the assumption of permanence for at least five years. Potential applicants who have completed their school education and one university degree or one university degree and their doctorate in Germany are subject to the regulations governing German citizens. Visit the questions and answers on the website for additional information.
Academics who have already been sponsored by the Humboldt Foundation are not eligible to apply for the Humboldt Research Fellowship Programme but should turn to the Foundation’s Alumni Programme for support for further research stays.
In providing Humboldt Research Fellowships for experienced researchers, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation enables highly-qualified scientists and scholars from abroad, who completed their doctorates less than twelve years ago1 to spend extended periods of research (6-18 months; may be divided up into a maximum of three blocks) in Germany. Candidates are expected to have their own, clearly defined research profile. This means they should usually be working at least at the level of Assistant Professor or Junior Research Group Leader or be able to document independent research work over a number of years. Scientists and scholars from all disciplines and countries may apply.
Program application deadline
There is no application deadline for this Fellowship. Applications can be sent at any time. The Selection Committee meets three times per year (March, July, and November).
Humboldt Research Fellowship